Friday, February 19, 2010

Sick Day

Xandy had a "sick day" at school today. All the 1st grade classes participated. The kids got to go to school in their PJs, slippers, and robes. They also brought in blankets and stuffed animals. The teachers were doctors, and the moms were the nurses. As nurses, we pulled students out one by one. They got a "check-up" complete with weight and height measurements. We also made up temperatures and heart rates for them. The students pulled out a diagnosis from a bowl. We recorded all of this in their chart and gave them a hospital band with their names and diagnosis. After all the children had their check-ups my job was done. The patients and doctor spent the rest of the days reviewing body organs, illnesses, habits to help reduce and prevent illnesses (hand washing class included!), and way to help get over illnesses you have. They had "sick day" snacks: jello, crackers, 7-up, and chicken noodle soup. It was great fun and the kids were super excited. It was a great way to re-inforce these topics as I'm sure the kids will remember this day for awhile.

Xandy and her friend Lexi. Xandy's diagnosis was pneumonia and Lexi's was strepthroat.My friend, Amy, let me borrow her coat and I had a blast diagnosing the kids. I probably shouldn't laugh, but one kid got really upset when a mom gave him his diagnosis. He kept saying I don't have that, I don't. He looked ready to cry and we had to keep assuring him it was all pretend. I also liked the reaction of little boy who laughed so hard he had tears when he found out that one of the symptoms of his illness was diarrhea. He kept repeating it and giggling for a good 5 minutes or more.

1 comment:

Joan said...

sounds like a great day! wish I could have been a nurse there!