Friday, April 18, 2008

Icecream cones, chinese firedrills, and the power of mom

(I have always regretted that I stopped keeping a journal after the birth of my first child. A child's early years are one of the most important times to keep a journal, and thats when I quit. I remember that Katy always had us in stitches from the funny things she'd say , but we don't remember what all those funny things were. So the purpose of this entry is to document some of Alexandra's funnys from the last few weeks)

On Wednesday I needed to go into Katy's school to take pictures for the Pride day bulletinboard. This is a conversation that took place when I was bribing the girls to be good.
Me: After the park we are going to go to Katy's school. If you are very good and stay right by me, I will give you an ice cream cone when we get home
Alexandra: Are you going to put icecream in the cone?

- I have never just given her a cone without icecream so what made her think I might just give her an empty cone? Not sure where the logic was on that one

The other day after coming across a mess someone had made I went to seek out the culprit. Katy was at school so that eliminated her. I asked Xandra and Bella and both professed innocence. I am pretty good at telling when Bella is lying and was pretty convinced she was innocent. I again approached Xandra and asked if she had done it. She again claimed she hadn't. I reminded her that Jesus knew if she was lying and said "Xandra you made the mess, I know you did, and I need you to admit it. Her eyes got as big as saucers and she incredously asked "How did you know that?" My response: "'Cause I'm a mommy!"

Growing up we had "Chinese Fire Drills" in our house. I don't know if this is a common term or not but basically everyone in the family went as fast as they could for five minutes to tidy the house. I have instituted this with the girls in the evening before Daddy comes home. One day when Alexandra was upset with me she decided to threaten me. She put her hands on her hip and said "Fine, but I'm not doing anymore "tiny firedrills". I almost burst out laughing and her translation of what I'm saying.

1 comment:

Joan said...

I am glad you are writing it down. Keep up the good work. And those firedrills are "tiny" clean up times. Perhaps we should call them that from now on!