Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Stone Soup

For dinner the other day we read the story Stone Soup and then the girls gathered the ingredients and prepped them just as in the story. It was surprisingly good soup!




My kids got two cookbooks for Christmas that have made dinner time easier. They love being involved in the process. There are even less complaints on the night they don't cook, since they know they get some say on other days.


Bella and Jacob got the "Sesame Street: Silly Snack". It is made like a boardbook. This cookbook does get them to eat more vegetable. Last night they ate spinach wraps filled that were filled with spinach leaves and carrots, among other things. Most recipes however, involve too much cutting or other tasks that are out of the abilities of the intended audience and some of the recipes are quite strange. Bella has been enjoying using this book. Even though she mostly watches me, she still is having fun. Maybe thats all that can be expected at her age. I'm was expecting to turn the kitchen over to her though, I just thought she'd be able to help more with each recipe.


Katy and Xandy got "Paula Deen's: My First Cookbook". We LOVE this one! Each recipe shows pictures of each utensil and ingredient needed. They are learning what everything is without me having to constantly remind them. It is a nice collection of relatively normal recipes. By that I mean, the ingredients are things I usually have on hand anyway. There are some recipes at the end for crafts. I loved that the story "Stone Soup" was actually in the book by the recipe. Katy and Xandy are thoroughly enjoying theirs.

No comments: