Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tornado scare

Friday, Jared and I went to the movies. We do not usually go to the movies. I have a hard time paying $20 to see a movie once when I could wait and buy it for that price. I have to really be impatient to see it or it has to be "Theater worthy" meaning it has to be seen on the big screen to get the full effect. I think the last movie we saw together was DaVinci Code (although I've seen some without him). Jared really wanted to see Angels and Demons, so he called and got a babysitter lined up and off we went. We were about 10 minutes into the movie when it suddenly turned off. As we all sat there confused, an employee ran in and told us we needed to move to the halls and bathrooms, there was a tornado warning. (One employee actually told us there had been one spotted and headed our way- not sure whether this was actually true). Since we live close to the theater I decided it would be wise to make sure the babysitter and kids were in the basement. When I went to call, there was no service. Jared jokingly said "maybe it already took out the cell tower". Not funny to a mom who is not sure what exactly is happening but was told her children might be in the path of a tornado without her there to help and comfort them. I moved to the front lobby and was finally able to place the call. Sarah was on top of things and had already moved the the basement after looking outside. The sky was pretty eery looking, and though I was tempted to make a run for the car to get home to my babies, common sense won out and I decided to stay inside. Eventually the tornado warning expired and we were allowed back into finish the movie. Meanwhile, the lightning storm was continuing. Sarah though it struck somewhere in our back yard several times. The next day several neighbors told me they thought it struck the house behind us. One person claimed to have seen it strike that house. Our next door neighbor said her house shook like an earthquake after the strike. So, Sarah, you are probably right! One week-ends we let the girls all sleep in the same bed. Usually the pick the top bunk and spread out all over the bed. When we came home, I found them all huddled together on the bottom bunk. The next morning I discovered that over $20 worth of new books I had asked them not to take outside were left out during the storm and ruined. I was so mad I had to go running to keep from strangling them (I ended up running 8 1/2 miles- its amazing what anger can do for you). I keep trying to keep it all in perspective. At least the tornado never touched down (if there ever was one). We could have had a lot more damage or people may have been injured. But, its a work in progres, when I remember that we hadn't even had those books for 24 hours, my blood starts to boil again. Anyway, it was an eventful night at the movies!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

We never go to the movies ,either! But, at least I don't have to worry about tornadoes eating up my kids when I leave!
Scary!
And Jared's comment about the cell phone tower cracks me up! I hope you smacked him for that one!