Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gotta Love Duck Tape!

Sat morning the kids and I left for Ohio. Yes, we left Jared on Father's day weekend. No, it was not punishment, it was his gift. He got to golf and watch movies we won't watch with him. He ended up having to work some too, so he didn't have time to miss us. My wonderful friend, Rochelle, even invited him over for Father's Day dinner. We had an uneventful drive with just a few construction and accident delays. We arrived around 6:30 with enough time to scarf down Mima's dinner and head to the Duck Tape festival. For those of you who don't know, I come from the Duck Tape capital. We don't just get the name because we fix everything with duck tape- although this is true. The company is headquartered there. Every father's day weekend there is a Duck Tape festival complete with floats made from duct tape. Who needs the Rose bowl parade we have tape!! One lucky Dad is even named Duck Tape Dad of the year. Too bad its not open to women. My mom would win hands down. I've never seen anything she can't fix with a little duct tape.




van completely decorated with duct tape


Duct Tape twister board


Duct Tape fashions




guitar made from duct tape


Enjoying fair food
I often wish the Storm boys and I had pictures from our trek out west to school. We could be rich from selling our story to the Duck Tape marketing department. We were only about an hour from home when the soft car top carrier on top of my car blew off. We pulled over, gathered all the luggage and wondered what to do. Never fear, we found a roll of duck tape in the back seat. We placed the carrier back on top of my car with luggage inside and taped that baby down. We used layer after layer of duck tape but that carrier didn't budge the whole way to Utah and Idaho. Every other gas stop we'd reinforce it just to be safe. I bet there is still duck tape remains on that car wherever it is now. Ah, fun times!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I remember that trip out to UT and the stories you told when you got there. How funny to think of old memories like that. Now how come I never heard about the Duck Tape festival when we lived there?