Thursday, April 11, 2013

First track meet

Katy is in Track this spring.  Her school does not have a track, so practices were inside until the last few weeks.  She was not a fan.  She really wanted to quit especially when we decided it would be best for the family to take a break from soccer.  I wanted her to give it a fair try and encouraged her to stay in it. 

Her first meet was last Thursday and it was almost perfect weather.  She ran the 1600m and the 800m.  She did a great job in both. 

I loved being back in the meet atmosphere.  I love the sounds, smells (Icy Hot) and sights.  I don't know about her, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  It also is exciting that she chose to be a distance runner.  Just like her Mama.

My only complaint is the race officials were doing last calls way to early.  The girls were standing without their outerlayer of clothes too long, and any warmups they performed did them no good since they had to stand in a group for so long.  Her coaches also never told them they should stretch after each race.  I intercepted her on her way up into the stands and had her stretch.

The 1600m is the very first race and the 800m is one of the last races so she has a lot of down time in the middle.  They didn't give times except for the top runners and I didn't think to start a timer for the 1600M.  She got about 3:24 in the 800m.  It was really hard to know for sure when she crossed the finish from my seat so that times is give or take a couple seconds in either direction.
Waiting to run the 1600m
Running the 1600
 Refueling in between
 Running the 800m
Monday she had her second meet but I forgot the camera.  I meant to take pictures with my phone, but I was there alone with all the kids.   Again, I didn't get her mile time but I think she shaved a few seconds off her 800m time.  I told her middle school track is just practice for high school.  Only concentrate on improving your own time.   So far, shes finished in the top half of the second half of runners.  There have been about 20 runners in her races so far.

No comments: