Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Charlottesville

 
We went to Charlottesville the weekend after conference to see Nathan's baptism.  Despite last minute wrenches in our plan, we were able to make it.  Sunday between sessions when we went to the park, our van wouldn't start when we tried to leave.  It had been giving us problems off and on, but this was the worst.  A park employee tried to jump us, but it didn't help.  I took it to get fixed on Monday to a recommended local mechanic.  He told me he thought it was a fuel sensor but I would need to take it to the dealer.  The dealer told me it was a started and charged $350 for a new one.  Thursday evening after Katy's track meet, the van did the same thing.  It was 7pm and we were in Moundsville.  We were supposed to leave for Charlottesville at 4am since the kids were off Friday.  We eventually got it started and got home but Jared was worried about driving to Virginia with it.  While I was getting the kids in bed, he pricelined a rental van.  He got an incredible price, but w had to drive to the airport-- in Pittsburg, an hour away- to pick it up.  We didn't get home until after 10 so we ended up not leaving until 5:30.  The van was a 2013 Sienna and I am now in love!
 
When we got to Charlottesville we went on a hike and a picnic. Nathan was at school so the poor guy missed out.
 



 A hike wouldn't be complete without some frog catching.  We were careful to release it before the kids "loved it" to death
 

After the hike, Amanda picked up Nathan from school and we headed to a Tulip Farm she had heard of.  The owner told us they were not even at 50% of their full blooms but it was still pretty.  You could pick tulips for $1/stalk.  Wish I had a tulip farm around here.
 
 
 


 I love the tulips planted in the shape of a tulip


Monticello is in Charlottesville.  I have always loved history and Thomas Jefferson has been my favorite president since I was about 12 yrs old.  I was looking forward to seeing Monticello.  You can't get close enough to see the house without paying $25/person.  We did not want to pay that much with the whole family and we didn't have enough time to take the whole tour to make it worth it.  Much to my disappointment, I came within 1/2 mile but didn't get to see it.  We did watch a film and play in the kids discovery center.  Maybe another day....
James Madison and James Monroe always have their homes near Charlottesville. While Amanda's family was at a law school function we went with Grandpa and Grandma to check out Montpelier, the home of James Madison.  It was close to closing so we didn't get to go in, but we were allowed to walk all around the grounds for FREE!


Statue of James and Dolly Madison

 

Grandpa and Grandma took the tour of Monticello earlier in the week before we got there.  Grandpa may have just been trying to make me feel better, but he said he was more impressed with Montpelier than Monticello.  I don't know, but I do know that I love Montpelier!  Isn't it just beautiful???

Bella gave the baptism talk at Nathan's baptism. Alexandra led the music.  Katy played interlude hymns after the baptism while Nathan and Robert changed.  All the kids sang with their cousins for a music number (When I Am Baptized).  Jared was a witness and participated in the confirmation.  It was fun to see Nathan baptized and spend time with family. 
 We hope to go back to Charlottesville the end of August when BYU's football team is playing there.  I can't wait!







1 comment:

Amy said...

So beautiful and it looks like you had really nice weather.