Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Kitchenaids and Beetlejuice


This is my wonderful Mother's Day present.  We had priced kitchenaids of different sizes and watts the month before, but I had decided not to get one.  I wanted one with more watts for dough kneading and a bigger bowl.   We had seen one at Costco that after doing some additional pricing seemed to be the best deal.  But, with some other expenses we had coming up, I told Jared that I would wait until another time instead of settling for lesser quality.  Unbeknownst to me, he ordered this one from Costco.  I have used it mutliple times already and LOVE it!!



Stop reading here if you are squeamish.  The following pictures are NOT pretty.

Around Thanksgiving, Jacob had some random bumps appear on his skin.  Jenny told us what they were and said they should go away on their own.  They do in most cases, but they did not with Jacob.  The doctor referred us a dermatologist.  While I was on the field trip with Bella, Jared took Jacob to the appointment. She explained to Jared that it was a 3 stage treatment.  She applied a African Beetle Juice to his skin and explained that the juice would cause the skin to blister.  I don't think any of us were prepared for the end result.

This is just one side of his body.  He had the same thing on the other side.  If you look closely you can see them in his armpit.  They were so big he couldn't comfortably lower his arm.  He walked around with the arm above his head most of the day.
By the time I got home he was miserable.  He was sobbing that he was going to die.  It was heartbreaking.  I just wanted to comfort him, but he didn't want anyone to touch him.  Jared said the dermatologist said we could drain the blisters to help make him more comfortable.  Jacb did NOT like this process.  He did make him more comfortable but I'm afraid its going to cause him to have permanent scars and almost wish we hadn't done it.  He did allow us to lay him near me on the couch to watch a movie.  He was asleep pretty fast.  I need to take him back tomorrow for Stage 2 but I am really dreading it.  If you are ever in Africa- stay away from beetles!!!
This is what it looked like after we drained the blisters


1 comment:

Amy said...

Poor guy - makes Josh's warts seem like no big deal. We had to take him to a dermatologist twice to get them frozen off.