Monday, June 9, 2008

Relay for Life

We actually managed to be productive this week-end and sneak in some fun on the side. Jared had Friday off so we spent a lot of the day packing. I got the whole toy room and most of the books packed. Late afternoon we headed to Mima's for a little swim break. Saturday morning we continued to pack (and accidently forgot about the fishing derby- don't tell the girls they'll be devastated). Then we headed out to have fun with the Franklins and some other friends. We had a blast even if it was 90 degress outside! I was having so much fun I forgot to pull out the camera so sadly there are no pictures to document our fun evening. Then we were off to Relay for Life. We have participated in Relay for the past 4 years. With the move I was unable to devote as much time to relay as I normally do but we were grateful to make it to the luminary ceremony. It is my favorite part of relay. Once it is dark, all of the luminary bags are lit and they read through the names of cancer survivors as well as those who have lost the battle. After all the names are read,everyone is handed a candle and walks around the track in silence. It is very moving to see the sea of candles walking in silence. This year the wind didn't cooperate and the candles didn't stay lit. The girls observed that some people were placing the candles in front of luminaries of loved ones. Without saying a word Katy stopped in front of Grandma Sharpe's luminary and laid her candle down. It was very tender and touching. Following her lead, the other two girls asked where Uncle Jim's and Aunt Judy's luminaries were and placed their candles at those spots.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Hey, this is your old roomie, Jenni. I found your blog from Amy's. Your family is so cute!!! Where are you moving to? I hope we can get back in touch!!! I'll try to email you the link to my blog.

Joan said...

Ok you made me cry! I wished now that i had been there, but it was nice to see Aunt Judy and spend time with her while we are still here!

Dustin and Tonya Ray Family said...

I missed being at Relay with you guys.. thank you for always representing our family.