Thursday, February 5, 2009

Steeler Colors

I have a question, and I mean no disrespect to all the other Cleveland sports fans out there. Why does everyone hate the Steelers so much? I understand a bit of rivalry: BYU vs Utah, OSU vs Michigan. The hated "other" colors. But, I was always taught that if the rivalry team was in a championship game you should cheer for them. It makes your team look better. So why did everyone refuse to cheer for the Steelers on Sunday? Why cheer for a team all the way across the country? Also, when that sorry excuse of a pathetic little man took away our beloved Browns, Pittsburgh was the next closest team. I recall a lot of people jumping ship and rooting for the Steelers for those orange-less and brown-less years.

I always try to make "party food" for dinner on Super Bowl Sunday. We had pizza muffins, nachos, and brownie fruit pizza (I know, real healthy right?) Jacob was sleeping when we ate. When he woke up, I noticed he still had on his white church shirt with black pants. I knew that white shirt had to be changed or it would suffer a early demise, so I went to his drawer in search of another shirt. The first shirt I saw was yellow. Perfect I thought to myself. My little boy ate his food and watched the game in yellow and black. Does that makes him or me less of a Cleveland fan? I don't think so. If, by some miracle, the Browns had made the Superbowl we would've pulled out our Browns apparel, Browns bandannas, and orange pom-poms. We might have even painted our faces, and the girls would definitely have painted their nails orange. But, the Browns weren't in the Superbowl and I didn't see any harm in cheering for the neighbooring team. So, Good job Steelers! (I should probably add that my parents were both born in that area and I still have many relatives there)




:

6 comments:

Amy Franklin said...

Uh oh. You may have opened a huge can of worms with Glenn. You may have a lengthy comment from him in the future...All I know is that growing up in CA we could never root for LA teams (i.e. the Lakers). We were huge Celtics fans. (Opposite for Glenn--kind of weird considering we were on opposites sides of the country!) But I can't root for the Celtics now since they are Cavs rivals. And I can never root for the Steelers if I want to have a happy home!

Joan said...

Cute little Steeler fan! I am both a Browns and Steelers fan-proff it is possible.

the Petterson Family said...

I wasn't to keen on the Steelers un-sportsman-like conduct throughout the game. I really didn't root for anyone in particular...but I thought the Red team deserved the win, just because they were nicer!! Sorry!

However...Jacob makes a really cute little Steeler fan!

Nikki said...

Sorry -just can't bring myself to cheer for the Steelers-ever.

Glenn Franklin said...

Until you realize the reason why you cannot cheer for both, you will never really understand what it means to be a true Browns fan.

I think that it is sad that Jared might understand this concept so maybe he can explain it to you...

Porter Family said...

Okay, here's the St. Louis reason for cheering for the Cardinals and not the Steelers. Kurt Warner was the QB for the Rams here when we won the Super Bowl. Thus, cheer for the ex-grocery bagger. On a more personal note, most of the country doesn't like the Steelers because they cheat. I have no opinion on the subject, I just have heard my husband go on lengthy diatribes about it. Ask him if you really want to know. :)