Monday, February 9, 2009

Veggies, pasta, and garbanzo beans

Last week, in an attempt to eat healthier, I tried a new recipe off allrecipes.com. As I served it to my family, I braced myself for the complaints I was sure would follow. It was a penne pasta recipe loaded with zucchini, yellow squash, red peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc. I was stunned when no complaints were issued and second helpings were requested. Finally they've come around I thought. Tonight I decided to try my luck again. I searched through the recipes on allrecipes that would use the rest of the squash, peppers, and mushrooms in my fridge. I found one that sounded a little strange but had raving reviews. I checked the pantry to be sure I had the necessary ingredients and went to work. I have to admit I was a little skeptical myself, but took comfort in knowing there were 2 frozen pizza from the school fundraiser waiting in the wings. I knew we were off to a bad start when during the prayer I heard a little voice ask "Please help us to eat this food without complaining too much". I stole a peek at my husband who looked like he was going to burst with laughter. He had already raised his eyebrows when I placed the meal at the table. It was definately not one of their favorites, but they all ate at least some of it. Personally, I thought it was pretty good. Well, one out of two is better than nothing.

4 comments:

Amy said...

So now you need to post the recipe that got rave reviews. I love pasta recipes and it sounds delicious. I am impressed that everyone tried it!

Dustin and Tonya Ray Family said...

Wow.. way to go on everyone trying it that is pretty good. And too cute to whoever prayed for them to eat without complaining. I just love those girls and little guy.

Kate said...

I don't know how you do it! What's the secret to keep them from turning their noses up? My kids won't touch a tomato even if it's in spaghetti sauce. Do share any helpful tips!

C said...

If I ever mention to Jordan that something is healthy, he winces a little bit before tasting. He already knows he's going to hate it. So I've learned to tell him that everything I make is grotesquely fattening and will probably give him a heart attack...and then he gobbles it up without a thought.
Sigh. Men.
That dish is exactly what I've been craving.
Yum.