Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The next Monday, Jared called me at 4 pm right as I was starting dinner, doing the evening "tidy" of the downstairs, and starting FHE prep. Don't ask why I was attempting to do this all at one time. A more organized mother would have had her children "pick up" as they went along, would have already planned FHE days ago, and would have a gourmet dinner already in the oven, but we are talking about me here. I start all these things at the same time, an hour before my husband is expected home. I run around like a crazy lady and then collapse on the couch seconds before the garage door opens. Anyway, I was in the middle of this craziness when the phone rings.
Jared: Connel and Laura have tickets to tonight's game and wondered if we want to go. Can we go, or do we have other plans.
Me: Tonight? As in I'd need to have a babysitter here in an hour and a half?
Jared: Yeah, will that be a problem?
Me:thinking (Um, have you ever tried to get a babysitter last minute?)
Fortunately, I had just been talking to one of the girl's favorite babysitters at church the day before. She had told me she was free most of the week. I crossed my fingers and called her house, and miraculously I had a sitter within seconds.

Then I braced myself for the inevitable coup that would arise when the kids found out we were ditching them on FHE night. Much to my surprise, they were much more excited with the prospect of having Sarah come over then they were disappointed the FHE would be moved to Tuesday. They only uprising came, when Xandy found out who we were going to the game with. She thought she should get to go in my place. Who does she think she is anyway?

The last time Sarah babysat was the night of the huge storm. My girls had left books outside before Sarah got there and remembered them during the storm. Sarah didn't let them go out, which was good since lightning actually struck the house behind us. I did give them quite a scolding since they were brand new books and I'd specifically asked them NOT to take them outside. When Bella found out Sarah was coming she ran outside and put everything away. I had to laugh. Guess she didn't want a repeat.

We had a great time at the game even though the Cardinals lost 11-0. I enjoyed that loss, in comfortable weather with great friends much more than the win in extreme heat with hot, tired children. A park a few blocks from the stadium is filled with little arches for the all-star game this month. We stopped and took a few pictures.


This was my favorite of the arches since it has Chief Wahoo on it

If we had been a little further back the capital buildingwould've been completely under the arch

No comments: