Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bella's Very Fairy B-day

Can you believe my baby girl is 5 already??? That yesterday I registered her for Kindergarten?? The Family Fun magazine came right about the time I was starting to think about her B-day party. It had the cutest ideas for a fairy party. I though it was perfect we could have a Tinker"Bella" party. When I first presented the idea to her, she wasn't convinced but when I showed her the ideas in the magazine she became excited.

We found a cute little poem online, tweaked it a little, used lots of glue and glitter, and delivered invitations to her friends:

"Fairies and Pixies, we need you to fly, get your wands and your wings and take to the sky, fly to Tinker"Bella"'s birthday, there will be plenty of fun, with lots of games, cake and pixie dust for everyone! At half past twelve on Saturday to Bella's house make your way. Dressed in all your fairy stash, for an hour and half B-day bash"
(I had to way scale down the invite list. Her original list consisted of most of the primary, along with neighbors and other friends. You shoulda seen the list, I about went into cardiac arrest! I limited her to a few neighbors, the kids in her actual primary class, and her closest friend.)

These are the cookie star wands and "pixie" flowers from Family Fun. The flowers have pixie stixs taped to them. While sorting through the cookie cutters in search of the perfect star cutter, Bella found an angel and was insistent that we make fairy cookies also. We also made strawberries dipped in pink melting candy(another idea from Family Fun) but I didn't end up with a picture of that.



Bella didn't like the cake in the magazine, much to my relief. It looked pretty time consuming. It was an entire fairy village. We looked at a few pictures of cakes and she combined her favorite parts to come up with this:

She wanted everyone to dress up which meant that the older girls had to set the example, much to their dismay.
We made Fairy Houses and read the book Fairy Houses by Tracy Kane. We also turned the living room into a garden fairy and hid treasure for the little Tinker fairies to find.



We played pin the star on Tinks wand and watched Fern Gully. Any of you who are aware of my limited artistic skills will be shocked to learn that I drew this freehand by myself. (Although I did use a picture for inspiration) I couldn't quite get her fingers to look right so I solved it by tucking her hand behind her.


All in all, I think everyone involved had fun. Bella loved being the "Birthday girl". That how she referred to herself for several days. "The B-day girl can't finish her food" "Mom, Dad got mad at the B-day girl!" "The B-day girl is tired" "The B-day girl doesn't want to clean" etc etc etc.



3 comments:

Amy said...

What a great mom to throw such a fun themed party. Today is Nathan's 10th b-day. We are going for very simple today - Little Caesar's pizza, cake, his twin cousins coming over and going to a hockey game with him tonight. We'll make up for it with Zach's 8th b-day party in a few weeks.

Joan said...

what fun. so sorry i missed this!

yvonne said...

Very cute Terra! I was wanting to do something like this but I don't have any one to do it for! I'm glad it was a sucess!