Monday, November 8, 2010

Geocaching

Jared had a pretty busy week at work the week his parents were visiting.  Additionally, one of his co-workers was going out of town for a wedding.  He had pre-warned me that he wouldn't be able to take any time off.  I was disappointed he wouldn't be able to spend more time with them.  I was however, planning on pulling the girls from school on Friday.  It had been almost 2 years since they had seen Grandpa and almost 1 year since they'd seen Grandma.  Jared surprised us all on Thursday by informing us he had arranged to take Friday off after all.

Earlier in the week I learned that Grandpa had a handheld GPS.  I had always wanted to try geocaching with the kids and hoped we could fit it into the week.  (Our regular GPS is a piece of junk and won't let us input coordinates.) Thursday night we hurried and found one geocache before it got dark.  Friday was a beautiful day, so we grabbed the GPS and set off on another geocaching adventure.  We looked and looked at one location and couldn't find it anywhere.  There was a park nearby that distracted the little kids.  After searching for quite sometime we gave up on it but knew there was another one off a trail about a mile away.  I knew we could connect to that trail from the trail at the park.  Grandma and Aunt Jeanne stayed at the playground with the little three while Katy, Grandpa, Jared, and I set off to find another cache.  It ended up being a really fun one.  When we opened the official geocaching box, another container that fit the exact description of the "missing" one was inside.  I think the two must've been combined at some point.  It was hidden under a bridge.  When I climbed out, I startled a biker so bad he almost fell off his bike.  I thought it was funny although I'm sure he wasn't as amused.
Under the bridge

 the "missing" container

We were all getting hungry so we decided to try to beat the weekend crowd and headed to Pappy's Smokehouse.  Apparently its busy all the time.  We waited in a line as long as the one the first visit.  Poor little Jacob fell asleep in line and we never could wake him up to eat. 



We took a roundabout way home so we could stop by the temple. I LOVE being so close to a temple!





1 comment:

Amy said...

What a beautiful temple. And we LOVE geocaching too - so much fun.