Thursday, March 21, 2013

Happy B-day Katy

You may have noticed something different about Katy since I started blogging again.  She had an exciting change this summer.  She got contacts!!!  Her father and I both had to wait significantly longer when we were younger.  Perhaps, that played into our decision.  We both remembered how awful it was to play sports with glasses, so we decided to let her get contacts.

She was already looking so grown-up and contacts just makes her look even older.  I look at her sometimes and can't believe I have a daughter that old.   We are very proud of her also.   She is a great older sister.  She helps out a lot around the house.  She is a good example to her friends and is not afraid to share the gospel.  She does better at that than her mom.  She's proud to share the same birthday as Joseph Smith. She is also nice to everyone. She always tries her best as everything she does.  She has a hunger for learning and wants to know as much as she can.  Her new teachers her were surprised at how she jumped right in to the classes full speed ahead.  She loves soccer and cross-country.  She also is excelling at the piano and violin.  We are very proud of her.

It was hard for me when she entered middle school this fall.  I wasn't ready for that step.  I remember middle school was definately NOT the best years of my life. 

Now she is in Young Women's and I am so excited for her.  Even though the ward here is very small I hope she can have even half the fun experiences I had in YWs.   I don't like how old it makes me feel though.

Katy turned 12 two days before Christmas.  It is always hard to have a party for her because it is such as busy time for everyone.  We did attempt to have a party with friends but due to other Holiday obligations only two friends were able to come(Megan and Courtney).  They played danced Wii and had a blast anyway.  The next week Abby's mom took Katy, Abby, Megan, and Courtney all out for dinner and icecream.  Abby gave Katy a beautiful frame with a picture of all 4 of them in it. 

I know that we are where the Lord wants us, but I do sometimes wish Katy could have stayed and gone to YWs with those 3.  They would've all had a blast.  Young Women's in this ward will be a good growing experience for Katy.  Even though she is the youngest, a lot of the other girls are new converts or come from part-member families and attend sporadically.  As a result, Katy is having to step up as a leader and not be shy.  Last night, we had a Personal Progress activity (I'm in YWs also).  Katy had to help the other girls find where different books were in the scriptures.  They all turned to her for guidance.

No comments: