Thursday, August 21, 2008

Friday Fiasco

Last Friday, I made dinner for a new family who moved into our ward. The family had four kids about the same ages as our kids so I suggested that Jared and the kids came with me to deliver our meal. My intentions were good. I figured it would help them (especially their children) feel more comfortable at church if they recognized some faces. Jared was not particularly keen on loading up our rugrats just to make a delivery. After using some of my best begging skills (pouting lips and batting of the eyes) he reluctantly agreed to come. We loaded up the lasagna, salad, rolls, and homeade peach pie. As Jared took Jacob out to the car I glanced back at the stove. My mouth watered when I saw the other lasagna and peach pie that would be awaiting our quick return. I locked the door leading to the garage and closed it behind me. What I didn't know was that Jared had not grabbed any of his keys, BUT I had my purse so we were all set right? Wrong, I had car keys but no house keys. Again I was not worried, I hadn't locked the front door so it should be open and earlier in the day it was so pleasant I had opened all the windows, surely Katy had forgotten to lock at least one when she closed them. Wrong... and wrong again. One of the kids had flipped the dead bolt on the front door and Katy did an excellent job of closing and locking all the doors. (Why couldn't she have messed up just a little!) Oh well, we'll just call the landlord as we're dropping of the dinner and pick up the keys on the way home. When the landlord didn't answer, we left her a message and went to Walmart to pick up a few school supplies we hadn't purchased yet. While at the check-out my phone rang, it was the landlord informing us she was out of town and we'd have to call a locksmith.
Now, remember my husband had wanted to stay home from the beginning so you can imagine how thrilled he is with my by now especially since he is going to have to pay a locksmith! Since our neighbors we also out of town we headed to the house of another family in the ward to borrow a phone book. By this time it was after six on a Friday night. After calling numerous locksmiths with no answer (give me a break, shouldn't they all be 24/7? People don't just get locked out during week day business hours!) someone finally answered. Their only on-call tech had just crossed the river into St. Louis to do 2 other calls and wouldn't be back until 10. Jared and I left the kids with the Lindays and went back to the house to double check the windows one last time. On our way back we picked up some Little Ceasars pizza. I was not excited to eat the pizza, my mind was still on the lasagna and peach pie! The Lindsays were gracious and let us bombard their house. The kids played and we watched the Olympics and Michael Phelps. Five hours, four pizzas, and a $75 locksmith later we finally were back inside. I was never so excited to see my door open.

Moral of this story: I should have let Jared stay home to begin with. When we delivered the dinner the husband and kids weren't home so we didn't even get to meet them! But hey, here's to a fun story to laugh at in years to come.

6 comments:

Natalie Buchkovich said...

That is the worst feeling ever, and you always seem to relize it just as you shut the door. Nick and I finally decided to just hide a key outside. I'm glad you made it back in! Hope Jared was not too hard on you.

Amy said...

You have a knack for making a funny story hilarious. Thanks for sharing. We all feel better when we know that crazy things happen to other people too!

jon and kir said...

I know it was no fun for you guys to be locked out but we were glad you thought of us and came over!! My kids loved it-and we did too!!!

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

Figures doesn't it? Everything starts out with good intentions and then...bam things start to go wrong. I have definitely had those kind of days.

Joan said...

Following in your ol'Mom's footsteps ey. You will have to find a way to break in though if you want to be like me!

Joan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.