Thursday, August 14, 2008

A worthwhile Freebie

Few things in this society are actually free. I'm usually pretty wary of the "free things". Usually it means one of two things. Either the item is worthless junk that serves no real purpose and should just be thrown away to declutter life... OR.. there's a catch. Get a free item with the purchase of 4 items. Now why do I need five of the same item? Or the Kirby seller who came to the door the other day. "Ma'am, can I come in and clean your carpet for free?" No way, I quickly burst his bubble and shut the door in his face. Once many years ago I fell for that scam and had to sit through a several hour demonstration until they finally realized that I had told the truth from the beginning and was not going to purchase anything. Even the Living Scriptures are not above this scam. The position themselves ever so carefully in places such as Nauvoo, Palmyra and even malls. "Hey, how about a free movie?" the ask to lure you to their cave. And then they try to convince you as to why no child should be without these "wonderful learning tools".
But I am here to tell you that there is at least one worthwhile truely free item out there. Its my favorite magazine and comes several times a year. It is the Kraft Foods Magazine. The day it arrives in my mailbox is truely and exciting day at my house. It comes packed full of good, easy recipes that the whole family enjoys. The edition that came several week before I delivered Jacob was one of my favorites. It had a week's worth of recipes with a complete shopping list. As it got closer to my due date I handed Jared the magazine as he left to grocery shop and said this is all I need. Now, why would Kraft send this free magazine? Cause its lots of "free" (there's that word again) advertising for them. But as long as you don't really believe that you have to buy the Kraft cheddar cheese- generic brands work just fine- you're no worse for the wear. Let them stuff the magazine full of their own ads, just keep sending me those recipes.
On second thought they are largely responsible for my inability to lose weight. We've tried several extremely delicious yet fattening desserts out of the summer edition. Oh well, Happy eating! (You can sign up at kraftsfoods.com if I've convinced you that you can't live another day without this magazine!)

3 comments:

Amy said...

I love the Food & Family magazine. My sister-in-law and I would eagerly anticipate it coming and then try out recipes and recommend our favorites. Then we stopped receiving it for a while and I had to go back to the site and sign up for it again. They told me to check each issue (it won't be in every issue) for a postcard to mail back. If there is one, you have to mail it in or you won't keep receiving the FREE magazine.

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

This is fabulous information! We are ALWAYS looking for a new recipe. You have such a cute way of writing. I LOVE it! :)

Dustin and Tonya Ray Family said...

My friends and I all love this magazine.. we had a recipe swap the other day and it was funny 3 out of 4 of us had brought at least one of our magazines!!