Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My child, my friend

For as long as I can remember, I have anxiously awaited the day I would have a daughter who would be my running partner. I dreamed of this day before I even had kids. I have anxiously waited, knowing that since I didn't start to run until junior high, I probably had a while to wait still. Feeling stressed on Saturday evening, I decided a run in the beautiful weather would do wonders for my mind. As I was heading out the door, Katy and Xandra got into a fight. Knowing that they mostly just needed some time apart and remembering that Katy likes to do about anything that is athletic in any way, I invited her with me. Jared raised his eyes knowing that I needed a good run, but I just waited patiently for her to change. I expected to jog with her down the two cul-de-sacs that we live on the corner of, before returning her home and finishing my run. To my surprise, she continued to run with me. We ran close to 3 miles (at that point I realized she had reached her limit). It was so much fun to jog with her. We even ran through a sprinkler watering more of the neighbors sidewalk than his lawn. I can only imagine the fun runs ahead with three daughters!!

Last night after FHE, Jared and Jacob disappeared for quite some time. Eventually I heard my name being called from the basement. I walked half way down the steps to find Jacob and Jared playing catch. Jacob seemed to be having the time of his life. Jared would throw the ball, Jacob would chase after it, and then turn and try to throw it back. I stood and watched for awhile enjoying the sparkles of pride beaming from Jared's eyes. I dare say he might of been waiting for that day just as long as I had been waiting for Saturday's jog.

3 comments:

Joan said...

You go Katy! Three cheers
Jakey!

the Petterson Family said...

Tears in my eyes!

Dustin and Tonya Ray Family said...

Awesome job Katy... 8 yrs old and running 3 miles I am impressed!