Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I DID IT!!!

I was extremely frustrated that I didn't get to finish my race a few weeks ago. People kept telling me "Its still an accomplishment to run as far as you did" or "you can always run another one later". I understand both of these points are true but it still didn't comfort me. When I graduated from high school, I had a list of three things I wanted to do in life besides get married, have a family, etc. Running a marathon was one of those things. I highly doubt I'll accomplish the other two. One was to recieve a Doctorate degree. I could always go back on work towards this but why? It would cost my family a lot of money and I plan on being home for my kids. The second was to do research in the Amazon. I'd be happy with just a visit to the Amazon at this point. Honestly, after a documentary Jared and I watched the other day, I'm not sure I even want to go there anymore. But, back to the point.... I thought watch something happen to me between now and the fall that would prevent me from running and I'd never get to accomplish even one of my goals. So, I just did it. I woke up early on Saturday and ran. Jared and the kids were troopers and spent the morning in the car driving from park to park to bring me gatorade. They only stopped to go to Katy's soccer game and then started right back on it. Jared and I had mapped out a 26.2 mile course using the trails the night before. It took me 4hr and 50 mins but I have now completed an entire marathon. Physically it was much easier than Nashville's hilly course, but mentally it was challenging. Other runners and specatators REALLY help. Its hard to keep going at the end when there is no one around and you aren't in a real race. I trudged through it though and am very excited to have finished it!! Already looking forward to running another one in the fall.

2 comments:

Loni said...

You better still be planning on doing one this fall.

I cannot believe that you did this...that is amazing self-discipline!! Did you not get any pictures? I think you would shave off a lot of time in a race because you wouldn't be so bored and alone.

Congratulations!!! So Proud

Porter Family said...

I'm pretty sure the words out of my mouth were something like, "Gosh, if that was me I'd be PISSED!" or "That SUCKS!" Encouraging, right? Way to go on finishing!!!