Monday, January 14, 2008

Broccoli in a Blender

I absolutely love Broccoli Cheese Soup(especially from Panera) so when I was at the grocery store I bought fresh broccoli to attempt to make my own. I was chopping the broccoli yesterday after church when I mentioned to Jared that I was going to need the blender in a moment. He was being a great help by washing the dishes but came to a dead stop and with a horrified expression asked why. He then proceeded to tell me that he can only remember his dad refusing to eat a meal his mom had made once while growing up. Apparently she called the family dinner as she was removing a bright green soup from the blender. His dad asked what it was and the reply came that it was called "Broccoli in a Blender". It was supposed to be served cold as a refreshing summer soup. He then remembers his dad saying "I am NOT going to eat that and I am certainly not going to make my kids eat it! Who wants to go out for hamburgers?" I chorus of "I do!" rang out and the pour broccoli was dumped down the drain by a tearful mom who had just wanted to try a new recipe. I assured him that I was going to add more than Broccoli, that I could not find a Broccoli Cheese soup recipe anywhere that did not require the use of the blender, and that it would be served warm. When the soup was finished, I hesitantly placed it on the table waiting for Jared's response. He actually like it and there were no leftovers when we were all done eating!

4 comments:

B said...

Hey Terra! It's me...Brittany...Smith (it was until Nov.). Anyway, I figured I should stop by and say hi since I just found your blog and want to add it as a link on mine and wanted you to be able to find ours as well! I'm glad I have a way to stay in contact with your family now! You look like you're doing awesome!!!!

Chatty Family said...

I love Panera broccoli soup too and have the Panera recipe! Sounds like you did just fine though...no leftovers! Good to see you the other day! - Melissa

Natalie Buchkovich said...

That is so funny! Can't say as if I wouldn't agree with Jareds dad, And that is so funny that Jared had these flash backs!! But your recipe sounds good, Nick would like that one!

Nikki said...

That is so funny. I love broccoli cheese soup. My dad did that once with my mom too. Except it was pineapple chicken, and he did taste it first. but we did get McDonalds that night. Mom was not happy