Thursday, January 3, 2008

Scientific vs Silly Romantic

My grandma came to visit a few days after Christmas. After all the presents had been exchanged she went outside to put some stuff in her car. To her surprise, there was a present in the back seat. The small package had no names on it. The only distinguishing feature was a tiny car that read "Its a Boy!" tucked under the ribbon. Grandma returned inside carrying the gift. She claimed that she had never seen this present before, and was not going senial. She figured it must be for me. Inside the package I found a stone plaque with a flower and beautiful poem about babies on it. ---Now lets stop the story to establish some truths about my personality. I have two very contradicting personality traits. On one hand I am very scientific. I must understand how and why everything works. Its not enough to tell me that this device will do this. I want to know every detail on how it works. On the other hand, I am a hopeless romantic. I LOVE sappy cheesy feel good movies. I cry at happy and sad endings. I feel bad for the sport team that loses even if my team wins. Okay, now lets return to the story---- We tried to figure out who the gift was from. All of the Aunts, Uncles, and cousins visiting claimed to have never seen it before. The logical science loving part of me knows that most likely a relative from PA placed it in the car before Grams left (although I'm not sure why there was no writing on it). The hopeless romantic part of me loves the idea (suggested to me by Dad) that maybe it was from Grandpa (who died 4 days after Jacob was born and never got to meet him). Until the mystery giver steps forward the romantic side will triumph and I will cherish the gift sent from heaven.

2 comments:

Loni said...

Stick with that story and don't try to disprove it!

buck1967 said...

Terra,

I stumbled upon your blog today and am really glad I did. I love this story and it brought tears to my eyes - not a comfortable thing for a guy at work.

We're a lot alike - scientific/romantic - so I understand your question on who sent the gift. However, on this I hope you ignore your scientific side. I agree with your Dad. The gift was from your Grandpa.


- cousin Brian