Friday, January 25, 2008

The fate of little brothers

As older sisters Tonya and I often made the littlest two of my three younger brothers play and do things that were definately "girly". They were forced to wear dresses, have their nails painted, and play house with us. Since I was quite a bit older than Alex, most of my tormenting was focused on Martin. Tonya, however, picked up where I left off. I'm not sure what my parents thought about this. Mom was probably just relieved the little ones were being entertained and most likely removed all evidence before Dad returned home every evening. I do remember Nicholas being quite upset by it all. He returned home one day after playing catch with the nieghbors to find his little brothers with painted nails. I can still hear him ranting and raving through the house. I think he was told to play with Martin more if he didn't want us to.

The point of this whole reminiscing session has to do with my children and how I found my son a few days ago. He had been taking a nap in his swing in the room he shares with Katy. The girls heard him wake up before I did and went in to play with him. When I entered the room he had a crown on his head. After having three little girls first, Jared is very adamant that he will be a "true little boy" and is constantly bombarding him with sports things to equal out the overpowering girl presence in our house. Needless to say Jared has not seen the following picture.

At first, I did not like the sight of Jacob in a crown, but then realized that even though he looked like he wasn't quite sure what was going on that he was intently watching his sisters. I also noticed as they circled around him that at least they were calling him Prince Jacob. So, I snapped a picture, snuck out, and enjoyed the fact that although my son was wearing a crown that all of my children were occupied and no one was whining at me!!!!

4 comments:

Amy Franklin said...

Oh Terra...I feel for you!! I have a picture just like that of Andrew. But I made him put on some other hats so it would be all princess. Don't worry, he will be just fine in the boy dept. He will just know how to play and appreciate a good Barbie!! He and Andrew can commiserate in a few years.....

Chatty Family said...

I'll take Porter in Snow White slippers over whining any day!!!

Amanda said...

I found your blog! I'd been hunting you down for a while now. And never fear, i think I have it worse. Alex doesn't need help putting on the girly dress-up clothes in my house, he does it willingly and asks for them. Even after giving him all sorts of boy toys for christmas, he still wants to dress up in the tutu and talk on the Little mermaid phone. I think it's cute. Does that make me a bad mom? :)

Natalie Buchkovich said...

That is so funny!! Jacob is a little trooper! He is so cute! I miss smelling his spit-up!