Monday, March 23, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day has always been one of my favorite Holidays. Although, who are we kidding? I'm pretty much a cheesy decorating freak when it comes to most holidays, but I do hold a special excitement for the Irish holiday. My grandpa was Irish, and before my hair went gray and I had to start coloring it, I used to have pretty red streaks during the summer months. Coupled with my pale freckled skin I sometimes actually looked a little Irish. My mom always made a special meal: the traditional corn beef and cabbage, Belfast biscuits and Shannon cakes. It is a tradition I've continued with my family. Although since my family demands that I double the Shannon cake batch, the meal takes a good portion of the day to prepare. This year, since all the girls have swim lessons on Tuesday evening, we had our meal a day early. Our friends, the Pearsons, came over and shared in the fun. After the meal, the kids played Hot potato (to Irish music of course!), and Leprechaun, Leprechaun, who has the Gold?

Before the girls went to bed, I heard them whispering to each other in worried voices. They were concerned that the Leprechauns would make a mess of the house and play mean tricks. The Leprechauns did not disappoint. There were silly tricks played throughout the house marked by a shamrock on each spot. The kids had laid out their clothes, the Leprechauns switched them around. Toothbrushes were hanging upside down in the holder. Pictures were turned sideways and upside down. A baby blanket was hanging from the ceiling fan. The older girls comforters were switched while they were sleeping under them. The milk was turned green, and later enjoyed with a bowl of lucky charms! It was a crazy morning, but the kids had fun finding all the shamrocks and fixing the tricks. Since the day ended up being in the 80's it was nice to enjoy leftover corn beef and cabbage for lunch and spend the afternoon outside (not in the kitchen!)


While I was preparing the meal on Monday Jacob was napping and Bella was playing dress-up. I noticed that I hadn't heard her in awhile and went to investigate. This is what I found....


The kids plus Baylea (our neighbor) in their St. Patty's garb. I love Jacob's hat it reads "Mommy's lucky charm". My girls all have shamrocks on their shirts even if you can't see them. Jacob's shirt says "Kiss me, I'm cute"


No comments: