Friday, January 14, 2011

Christmas Eve

Our traditional Christmas Eve dinner (On a side note: This year I went to Alexandra's class to talk about Ukrainian Christmas during their Holidays Around the World day.  It was interesting since so many of our Ukrainian traditions are centered around Christian beliefs. But, I didn't worry too much since there was a Hanukkah station I figured it all balanced out.  I probably murdered the pronunciation of the Ukrainian phrases I tried to teach them.  Jenny tried to help me but I think I was a lost cause.  I also told the legends behind Saint Nicholas and the 3 gold coins, and the widow and the spider.  The kids got to take home 3 chocolate coins and a homemade spider ornament)


 The annual acting out of the Nativity story:
Mary, Joseph and the Donkey
The Angel

 Our darling shepherdess

 Gathered at the stable
Later while watching the Joy to the World, Jacob expressed his extreme disappoint that we did not have a real donkey like in the movie.  After he finished huffing in unfair disbelief, he requested we get one for next year.  That request was quickly followed by a request for a real baby to play baby Jesus next year as well.  Jared told him he had a better chance of getting the donkey.  Bella and Xandy both wanted to play Mary.  When I offered the baptism dress to Xandy as an angel costume she happily relinquished the role of Mary to Bella.  She was very proud to be wearing the baptism dress and made an excellent angel!

No comments: