Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Katy's 10th B-day

I can't believe that I have been a mother for a decade now.  Katy turned 10 two days before Christmas.  I used to think I did a great job of making her B-day special despite the fact her b-day is two days before Christmas.  However, I found myself dreading asking her what she wanted for her b-day dinner.  I always  make the kids the meal of their choice on their b-day.  Why was I dreading it so much, because I knew what the answer would be--lasagna.  I already was making our big traditional Ukrainian dinner on the 24th, and we had friends coming for a ham dinner on Christmas.  The last thing I wanted to do was make a lasagna.  Three days of big meals did not sound fun.  Then there was the matter of the cake.  Really???  My house was already over run with cookies, candy, fudge, caramel popcorn, etc,etc.  A cake??  The thought of more sugar made me sick.  As I pondered the situation, I remembered something that would create an ideal solution but it had one drawback...it cost money.  I needed to get her Dad onboard my plan.  I called at work and described the situation.  Before I could even present my solution, he came up with it on his own! Score...although I did wonder why it took me days to figure out and only took him about 10 seconds.  On the night of her B-day, with the kids coupons for a free meal at the Pasta House in hand, we headed out to eat.  She got lasagna, cheesecake with a candle, and a restaurant full of people singing to her.  I got the satisfaction of giving my daughter what she wanted without overworking myself 2 days before Christmas.  I didn't even have to clean up.  It did cost her Dad the price of 3 meals (we only had coupons for the three little ones) but overall a success.  (On a side note: our wonderful pixies left Katy's second favorite meal-chicken pot pie- on our porch while we were out.  Guess I should've been patient and it would've worked out on its own)
We also finally took the kids rock climbing at the YMCA on her b-day. She's been asking to go since we moved here and we never got around to it. Not sure why, it was free. They all had a blast, except poor Jacob who was too little but he was a great sport and watched a movie on my phone to pass the time. After dinner we went and saw Tangled.  A couple other families from our street were randomly at the same showing.   It turned into a fun little neighborhood activity.




 Our neighbor Liz happened to be rock climbing with her boys so she helped belay the girls while Jared and I took a quick course on belaying.  If the children don't have someone to belay them, they have to wait in a long line for one of the two staff members to do it.

 The pillowcase Grandma Reed made her.
Overall, I think it was a fun day for her.  Besides, it was the first days of Christmas break, so that should've made it great on its own

No comments: