Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Random Rantings

My mother-in-law sent me a link a funny blog written by an LDS husband whose wife is in love with Edward. After skimming some of the comments I have come to the following conclusions :

1)there are some seriously Twilight obsessed people out there. Please don't allow me to ever join this group. I like the books and all, but if I ever start spending all my time in chat groups expressing my undying love for one of the characters and bemoaning the fact that my husband is not a fictitious character, PLEASE UNPLUG MY COMPUTER and pound me on the head with a frying pan.

2) some people really can't take a joke. There were two major examples to illustrate this point. At one point the blog author makes a snide remark about CS Lewis being an LDS author since he is quoted more than prophets. It was apparent that this was a joke and the author was quite aware that CS Lewis was in fact not LDS. Nevertheless, multiple people felt the need to publicly inform him that C.S. Lewis was not LDS. DUH! Thankyou to all the Mr. Smarty Pants. A second remark was made by the blog author was that if you were an LDS women not in love with either Edward or Jacob, or Jack or Sawyer(think Lost) you must belong to the 3% of LDS women who strictly watch only LDS films. Again, A JOKE. Although, since Jack has long been an object of one of my "crushes" and Edward quickly joined the ranks last week with other greats such as Mr. Darcy, Rhett Butler, Gilbert Blithe etc, I have to include myself with the first 97% of LDS women. Some insecure, UNmarried, painfully single female left quite a scathing rebuke. She apparently took offense to the groupings and does not feel the need to be included in his categories. LIGHTEN UP, this is just for fun. No one is going to force you into any category- except maybe the single and bitter box!!!

I came to a third conclusion this week while watching the trailer for Twilight. I'm getting much older than I realized. I was absolutely shocked to see how young the actors/actresses are in this movie. I had Edward, Bella, and Jacob pictured much differently in my head. But, then I realized I had them pictured more like 30 year olds and less like the 17 yr olds they really are. I will probably see the movie but it is a lot more enjoyable to continue to picture them my way. Seriously, how can you swoon over someone younger than your brother that is more than 12 yrs younger than yourself. YUCK!!

And finally, the fourth conclusion: There will always be a Jack vs Sawyer, Edward vs Jacob, Jake vs Andrew (Sweet Home Alabama) Ashley vs. Rhett. etc. There will always be women lined up in both camps declaring why their choice is better. So without further ado, here are my picks:



Jack vs. Sawyer- well there's no suspense and definately no competition here. I've already declared my love for Jack. Although Sawyer is not altogether lacking in the looks department. (I've definately seen worse!) there really is no comparison. I don't understand the draw to the blonde sarcastic, self-centered, "look at me, I'm so tough", unkept appearance, afraid of commitment, every man for himself kind of guy. I prefer the dark clean-cut, nurturing doctor, takes care of others, steps up to leadership, gentle, self sacrificing kind of guy. But thats just me.



Edward vs. Jacob- this one is a litte bit tougher. Jacob is a truely good kid (but I do have trouble with the kid part). He has dark hair which is a plus for me. I can only think of one exception to the fact that every guy I ever went on a second date with had dark hair. He also is the "best friend" and those generally make the best kind of relationships later on. Jared was my best friend before becoming my boyfriend. Jacob really truely loves Bella and I am kinda partial to his name. With that being said my pick is Edward. I'm not sure why, but I am drawn to him. It didn't take long for me to realize I was definately cheering in his camp. Maybe it was the way he was able to constantly protect her (although lightning speed was a bit of an advantage) and spend every moment at her side(again another advantage to being a vampire) . I'm not sure why exactly, but he is my pick. She was his whole reason for living, his "brand of heroin" etc.

Jake vs. Andrew- this one is the one that confuses me most. Based on my earlier arguements in Jack vs Sawyer one would predict me to pick Andrew- the rich, successful, well-dressed, good career, DARK haired choice. Half-way through the movie I still was unsure how I wanted the movie to end. This really annoyed me. In the end though, I knew she was destined to be with Jake. His undying, unwavering love for her was too pure to disregard.

Ashley vs Rhett- no brainer Rhett all the way. Besides the fact that Ashley is a sissy name. The fact that he lead Scarlett along despite the fact that he was married along with several other irritating personality quirks makes Rhett the better choice. Besides, Rhett had dark hair and Ashley was a blonde.

So, now that you are all convinced that I have absolutely no life and way too much time on my hands. I will leave you to get on with your busy productive lives and not point out that you just sat hear reading my random rantings, and wasting minutes of your own lives.

7 comments:

Nikki said...

1st I need to see this blog entry. 2nd here are my picks. Edward, Sawyer, and Jake, I don't know about the other 2 I have never seen Gone with the wind. I know it is a sin.

the Petterson Family said...

Okay, you are hilarious! I need to know this website, please tell...

I guess I'll state my two picks: Sawyer AND Jack (hey...Kate gets both of them, why can't I??) I have not read the Twighlight series...in fact I don't even know how to spell it...speaking of spells, how bout that Harry Potter??? EH?

Chatty Family said...

I LOVED this post! I am STILL holding out on reading Twilight. Seems like things get a little kooky once you do. Miss you!

Amy said...

I definitely don't feel it was a waste of time to read your rantings. It was quite enjoyable.

I think I agree about the age of the actors/characters- I tend to picture them probably at least in their mid to upper twenties - considering I don't think I will ever be over 25 :) I hope I'm not too disappointed by the movie - how can it ever (or any other movie) live up to my own imaginings as I read the book.

Amanda said...

Haha! You can't read Twilight and not love Edward. He's every woman's fantasy!
I haven't visited the sight, but I love your comments about it!

Joan said...

I think you better come home fast while there is still time to save you!

Porter Family said...

On the subject of Jack vs. Sawyer--did you forget that Jack is addicted to painkillers and is an alcoholic? (Bud just piped in and said, "Yeah, but Sawyer is a murderer, multiple times over.") Minor detail. I, too, am not freakish about this, but I guess if I had to illegally pick a 17 year-old, it would be Edward. You forgot to choose between Prince Edward and McDreamy in Enchanted. I go for McDreamy anytime, even in SHA when he looses.