Monday, October 6, 2008

Race day

I woke up Saturday feeling worse than I had all week, but there was no time to mope around as we had a full day planned. The older two girls and I had signed up to run in a race. The girls ran in the Kids Fun run and I ran in the 5K. The entry fees were to benefit the local nature center. I had been looking for a 5K to run in and when I found this one I got excited. Here's a cause I can get behind. So despite feeling like I wanted to cut my head off or sleep for years we headed out the door. There were only 5 kids signed up for the fun run. They girls came in 2nd and 3rd. Katy was annoyed that the event workers did not time them not did they have medals. Good thing for the t-shirt, I guess. I have decided Xandy has an aversion to sports. She will be one of those girls who drove me nuts in high school- too afraid of breaking a sweat, messing up her clothes, or having her make-up smear to play sports. She had originally wanted to run in the race, but when we woke up her whole mood changed. She tried to weasle out of it. She wanted to know if she'd still get a shirt if she didn't run(couldn't pass up clothes). As she lined up to start she asked if she'd ever have to run a race again. I told her that I hoped she'd have so much fun she'd want to run more. She answered "I don't think so!" At the end of the race (which I think she secretly enjoyed) she was very disapointed at the shirt. I think her exact words where somewhere along the lines of "that shirt is SO ugly!" Sometimes I wonder where she comes from. I had orginally planned on trying to run within a certain time. But, considering how I felt, my goal was just to finish. I did better than I though I would considering, but I'm definately not the runner I was in highschool. Such is life I guess. After the race, we jumped in the car and were off to Katy's soccer game. She was worried since we were going to be late. (Complete opposite from Xandy) Katy's world revolves around soccer. She's very mad we'll miss her last game to go to PA. More on the rest of our week-end later

The 3 runners

waiting at the start for other runners


1 comment:

Dustin and Tonya Ray Family said...

YOU GO GIRLS!!! Awesome job all three of you.. you all have inspired me to look for a race to sign up for and if I am lucky I can con a friend into running it with me!