Monday, September 28, 2009

Big Girl, Big changes

I can't believe how big Katy is getting. I was a little overwhelmed when I went to her Open House at school and the teacher started outlining the detention policy. What!?? Detentions?!! Not that I have to worry with Katy, but still she's just my little girl!! The YMCA added a parent/child Zumba class for kids over 7 that Katy loves going to. It is really fun Mom/ daughter date, but its Friday evenings so we don't make it all that often. We recently hit a major milestone. Major, but not necessarily welcomed, nor looked forward to. As parents. Jared and I have cursed all of our children, and we knew it was a matter of time. Two week-ends ago, we realized it was TIME. Time for glasses! When she couldn't even see the score plainly posted on the TV during the Ohio St vs USC game we were concerned. At church the next day, she couldn't read the page numbers for the hymns posted in the front. She kept trying to convince us she could see fine at school. Monday as she jumped off the bus, she reluctantly told me she was having trouble seeing at school. Thursday morning she got to play hookie for a few hours while her vision was tested and she picked out frames.
I was determined to let her get frames she really liked. Getting glasses can be a major blow to a girl's self esteem. I KNOW this can be true from personal experience. I wanted her experience to be as least traumatic as possible. I let her pick the frames she liked best before looking at the price tag : $149. It didn't seem too unreasonable and they were Hannah Montana glasses. I looked at a obviously cheaper pair laying nearby, $49. Hmm, that is a lot cheaper... but they were UGLY!! I was NOT going to do that to her. Resolved, we took the glasses over to the technician. Our insurance ended up paying for the frames and lenses completely!! I only had to pay a small co-pay on the exam and an estra fee to get more sturdy lenses (a necessity with my soccer loving daughter). I was SOOO glad I had let her pick out the ones she liked.
Exactly a week later, we picked them up, complete with a Hannah Montana purse case. It was funny driving home. "Wow, mom you're not blurry like before, I can see your face clearly!" I was blurry before?? "Oh, and look, I can read that sign, and that one too!!" I felt bad for not catching it earlier. Her Dad and Aunt both got glasses in 3rd grade. I held out until 5th! I guess its just a matter of time now for the other three.




She seems to be handling the transition well. There have only been a few mean comments. (The Mama bear in me had to be restrained!) For the most part, people seem to be a lot nicer than I remember kids being. But then again, maybe it seemed worse than it really was to me.

7 comments:

Nikki said...

Very cute glasses Katy. They are much prettier than the purple ones I thought were cool when I had to get glasses in 6th grade.

Joan said...

Katy, you look so beautiful with your glasses! You look so grown up! Where oh where has my little Katy gone!

Josh and Shyann Croke Family said...

She looks really cute!

the Petterson Family said...

Tell Katy that I think her glasses look really adorable on her! Also, that she looks so grown up!

Kate said...

Very cute! I remember thinking how clear things were while driving home after getting my own first pair of glasses, especially the trees, I was shocked that I could see the individual leaves, lol.

yvonne said...

I think she looks really good in them. she should be fine. Good luck with the others!

Natalie Buchkovich said...

Katy looks awesome! They have much cuter options for glasses now verses when I had to get them at that age!